Tuesday 19 August 2014

Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 3 thoughts


So due to my various problems I was having with my laptop and internet I'm two episodes behind everybody else THE HORROR!
Don't worry though, I'm about to catch up!

I have seen the original anime in both it's dubbed version and subtitled several times through, although I'm really bad at remembering the Japanese character names so I'll be referring characters as their westernised names within this post, I have also read a few of the mangas but not all because I've never had the cash to be able to justify completing my collection when I have so many other things I want or need to get first. I have unfortunately never managed to find a dubbed or subtitled version of the live action Sailor Moon. from what I've read Sailor Moon Crystal is a lot closer to the manga than the original anime is.
In order to compare the episodes respectively I watched both the original anime and Sailor Moon Crystal ( you can watch SMC on Hulu in some countries, I couldn't get that to play here in the UK so I googled and found a stream of it on another site, however I'm not sure how legal the stream is so I'm not going to link to it).
From this point onwards THAR BE SPOILERS!


This episode has big boots to fill, An Un-charmed Life/ The Cursed Bus is my favorite of the whole of the first series of SMO, it's quite a dark storyline compared to most of the rest of the series, plus I really like the introduction of Rei, after Ami, Rei is my favorite.
The episode again starts with Queen Beryl chastising Jedite, interrupted by Nephlite butting in with his own opinions and again mentioning that they are two of the four kings, at some point Zoisite also ends up in there (I'm not sure when he slunk in, but I made a bit of a *squee* noise because of the four, he's my favorite, even the first time I watched the dub and wasn't aware of how much his character had been butchered to make him, in that version her, acceptable to western audiences at the time), leaving only Malachite to be introduced, presumably in the next episode. I really hope that this means there will be more of an explanation about how the four kings were actually the Prince of Earth's four generals, who also had their memories wiped on the way to earth, and could still have been good, had Queen Beryl not gotten to them first.


There follows an introduction to the idea of the "demon bus" that is pretty similar to how it was presented in SMO, however the "Jed" working at the temple storyline is apparently absent, so instead of going to the temple to get love charms, Serena goes sort of accidentally after following Rei off the bus, enchanted by her beauty, leading me to wonder... Is Serena bisexual in this version?
Thankfully Rei's creepy grandpa (who is blatantly groping and looking up the skirts of the girls in SMO), is absent from SMC... I never could stand that guy.
I really like how there is a proper introduction for Phobos and Deimos.


I also friking love the scene on the bus with Darien, who is a lot better dressed in this episode, although I still really miss his green jacket!
I like that the accusation that Rei might be causing the disappearances is still there, but I love that Serena is so much more sympathetic to her in SMC, Rei's tale is so much sadder this time around, and the way the three women react to the vanishing child reminds me of the intersection fortune telling game from a Junji Ito manga.
I REALLY like how much darker this version of this episode is, remember when I said it had big shoes to fill? It fills them, with overlap.
I love that Rei goes to help Serena, I love that Serena then tries to help Rei, no argument, I love that Darien sees her transform, I love how more involved he is in this version despite not saving the day every episode like he did in SMO. I love that Jedite has a moment of almost recognition when he looks at Rei in Queen Beryl's palace, Jedite and Rei having been a couple once upon a time.
I'm not too keen on Serena's flight attendant outfit though, at moments it looks like she's not wearing pants o.0
The fight with Jedite is just well epic! I love it!
I loved this episode so fucking much!
My favorite so far, hopefully I will get a chance to get up to date tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Queens Of The Wild Frontier

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails